At Ambatovy, we consider ourselves as one united Ambatovy family. We believe our performance as a company depends on respect for our employees, developing their skills, investing in their long-term well-being and aspirations, and creating a positive spirit of teamwork.
Our recruitment policy aims to attract, recruit, and retain Madagascar’s top talent through competitive compensation packages that reward employee performance and commitment to Ambatovy’s vision and values.
Ambatovy is committed to providing and maintaining equal opportunities for all job applicants, regardless of their ethnicity, religion, age, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation. Our approach to recruitment is supported by a clear methodology that embraces transparency, equality, and fairness for all candidates. The selection process is as objective as possible and based on measurable criteria. Candidates are tested on their technical, behavioral, and linguistic abilities through a series of interviews. By recruiting on a competitive basis, we aim to select the best candidate for each job.
Workers’ health and safety is a top priority for Ambatovy and our standards are set high. All employees receive continuous training and development, and health and safety is on the agenda of every management meeting. Motivated and talented individuals will find real opportunities for professional development and long-term careers.
Direct and indirect jobs created by Ambatovy represent a major, sustainable stimulus to the local economy.
Malagasy direct employees
induced jobs created by mining
We believe that our success is directly tied to the accomplishments and well-being of its employees and that in order to be a successful enterprise, all employees must work in a spirit that is based on mutual respect, trust, and constructive relationships. This is insured through the following commitments:
- Fair treatment for every employee: Ambatovy aspires to build a workplace in which every employee: understands what is expected and feels free to discuss any issues in a straightforward and constructive manner, is rewarded for outstanding performance and behavior, is treated fairly, with respect and dignity, and is given opportunities to contribute, grow, and realize his or her full potential.
- Respect and integrity is required for and by all employees: Ambatovy does not tolerate any form of abuse or harassment against its employees, contractors, suppliers, customers, or any of its stakeholders. We are committed to applying stringent performance standards that respect all stakeholders regardless of their nationality, work status (i.e. local hire or expatriate), or the nature of their relationship with Ambatovy (i.e. employee, partner, supplier, or other third party). These expectations are outlined in our Code of Conduct.
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality: Ambatovy is committed to protecting every employee’s right to privacy. All personal information is treated as confidential, in accordance with legal provisions in force in Madagascar.
- Nurturing Malagasy talent: Ambatovy provides training and capacity building so that staff members can both enhance and broaden their competencies. We also promote knowledge transfer between expatriate and national staff through coaching and mentoring programs. These efforts help ensure that Malagasy employees can assume more demanding roles.
- Respect of labour code: Ambatovy follows the Malagasy labor code as well as the international labor standards of the United National Internal Labor Organization.
Building Local Workforce Capacity
Ambatovy is committed to maximizing local and national employment and developing a highly skilled local workforce. However, an operation of our size and scale means that a number of key positions require levels of expertise and experience that cannot currently be found in Madagascar. In these cases, it is necessary to recruit professionals from abroad.
Ambatovy offers training programs in safety, mining and processing operations, maintenance trades, management and leadership to ensure Malagasy employees have the skills needed to carry out their current work and to take on positions with increasing technical and leadership responsibility. Thousands of national employees and contractors have received construction, technical, health and safety, and administrative training. Investing in such programs ensures that Malagasy workers and managers will be able to assume positions of progressively increasing responsibility at Ambatovy.
Our Training Department uses a hybrid approach that combines self-taught training, computer-based learning, and traditional instructor-led classes. Through this approach, employees are able to continuously develop their own skillset, thus allowing for them to advance professionally with Ambatovy.
The Ambatovy Training Center
The Ambatovy Training Center, located in Toamasina, has a large, fully equipped workshop for both Operations and Maintenance training. All operators are trained by highly skilled Malagasy engineers. Maintenance subjects are taught by technical experts from abroad. These training courses prepare Malagasy workers for careers as electricians, machinists, pipefitters, welders, instrument technicians, boilermakers, and planners. Formal technical training at Ambatovy typically lasts between six and eight months.
Ambatovy provides employees with the opportunity to further develop their knowledge and skills through additional courses in language, IT, customer service, and more. The training that many of our staff members have already received will help them step into management roles in the future. We also have the Leadership Development Program and Supervisory Training Program, both of which provide talented individuals with skills needed to prepare for positions of greater responsibility.
Health & Safety Training
Employees are required to complete general training on the following subjects: health and safety, first aid, environmental rules and regulations, labeling of hazardous material, safety documentation, and firefighting. When appropriate, neighboring community members also receive health and safety training.